LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gen 5 - Automatic Antenna Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CelicaGarage.com Forum Index -> Previous Generations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cel93

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Gen 5 - Automatic Antenna Problem Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just bought a gen 5 Celica recently and the automatic antenna goes up but does not come down after I turn the radio off. The only way I can make the antenna go down is to turn off the radio, and as the antenna motor begins to run, I push the antenna down to give the motor a head start.

Has anyone here had a similar problem before? Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be great. Thanks!
TrdGtsJohnny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i had a similar problem. I guess the only way to fix it is to get a new motor for the attena. Lol now my attena wont even go up now, its stuck at the all the way on the bottom.
Cel93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TrdGtsJohnny,

Thanks for your reply. I will look into changing the antenna motor soon.
twin91GTScelicas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your antenna motor is fine. There is a plastic belt with teeth that goes up with the antenna and the teeth are worn out or the belt snapped completely. Happens to almost all 5th gen celicas eventually.

Anyway problem is I haven't found anywhere to actually buy a new antenna belt to replace it but if you can find one it should be like 5$ max.

Unfortunately the only other alternative is to replace the whole antenna "device". I replaced mine with one from a junkyard for like 15$ the whole thing (which has the motor too but that doesn't normally break down). I tested it on the spot when buying it and it worked like a charm.
Cel93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twin91GTScelicas wrote:
Your antenna motor is fine. There is a plastic belt with teeth that goes up with the antenna and the teeth are worn out or the belt snapped completely. Happens to almost all 5th gen celicas eventually.

Anyway problem is I haven't found anywhere to actually buy a new antenna belt to replace it but if you can find one it should be like 5$ max.

Unfortunately the only other alternative is to replace the whole antenna "device". I replaced mine with one from a junkyard for like 15$ the whole thing (which has the motor too but that doesn't normally break down). I tested it on the spot when buying it and it worked like a charm.

twin91GTScelicas,

Thanks for the information on fixing the antenna. I kind of gave up on fixing it last summer, but if I just need to find a plastic belt, I might try to do that.

I sometimes enjoy just having the radio on, but it's really inconvenient when the antenna doesn't go down when I turn the radio off. If I park somewhere on the street, I always have a feeling someone might try to bend the antenna haha.
Galcobar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, necro, but for anyone else who comes across this:

The plastic track is almost certainly the culprit -- the motor can run the antenna up but then loses its grip on the track, rather like how you can shove an item onto a high shelf and then be unable to pull it back down.

However, replacing this part does not require replacing the entire antenna assembly. The motor is fine, what you have to replace is the mast.

This does require pulling out the motor, since you have to rethread the new mast track into the motor, but it's a 30-minute job. A new mast from the dealer isn't terribly expensive either.

Alternately you could throw on an S2000 antenna, just use the base off a seventh-gen fixed antenna to mate it to your fifth-gen.

Men call cars "she" so they can claim to understand at least one female
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CelicaGarage.com Forum Index -> Previous Generations All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: